Some of the band members have traced lineage and are descendants of soldiers who fought in Civil War battles. Further research of local Civil War soldiers showed that 1st Lt. James S. Stratton of the Mullica Hill area of Gloucester County served with Company F of the New Jersey 12th Regiment in Chancellorsville, and later as a recruiter in New Jersey. He returned to field duty and was killed in action and buried in the field at Reams Station, Virginia in 1864. His family later had the body exhumed and returned to Mullica Hill for burial in the Baptist cemetery there. A monument to James S. Stratton and the recruiting efforts can be seen along Evergreen Avenue in Woodbury, the site of what was a recruiting/enlisting and troop transport station during the period. His father and brother raised the money for the 7th Infantry Band and recruited the Band Leader and players.
The connector road between Richwood Road (C.R. 609) and Harrisonville Road (C.R. 618) has been dedicated and designated as “Lt. James S. Stratton Lane”.
Those members- Sons of Union Veterans- have applied for, and have been granted by The Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War national organization, designation as James S. Stratton Camp No. 82 of the SUV, and were officially installed June 7, 2014.
Leave a Reply.